Chicago to Washington DC 2020
This tour is on waitlist as of 31 October 2019
Join Art Travel in October 2020 with Sue Gardiner as we discover Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Frank Lloyd Wrights Fallingwater during fall colour. It will be an amazing art adventure.
Departing 11 October, and starting with four nights in Chicago, before flying on to Pittsburgh. From here we journey by bus through Pennsylvania’s fall colour, staying near Fallingwater. We end our coach journey in Washington DC for four nights before departing for New Zealand on 23 October.
In Chicago enjoy the Chicago Art Institute, Sculpture gardens and parks. Take an architecture tour and visit Frank Lloyd Wrights Robie House.
In Pittsburgh engage with Andy Warhol at the Warhol Museum.
Spend time around in the countryside around Falling Water, Frank Lloyd Wrights masterpiece.
In Washington DC visit the Mall, Washington Monument, the National Gallery and Hirshorn Sculpture Garden to and Smithsonian. Visit Maya Lin’s Vietnam Memorial, and journey outside of DC for a day to Chesapeake Bay.
Along the way there may be an opportunity to reflect on Colin McCahon’s visit to the USA in 1958
11 – 16 October 2020
Depart Auckland on Air New Zealand
Arrive and spend five nights in the Windy City, Chicago.
Over our time here we will:
- Tour the Chicago Art Institute
- Visit Robie House by Frank Lloyd Wright
- Take an architectural cruise
- Admire Anish Kapoor’s Clould Gate, and other works in the Millenium Park
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art, dealer galleries and museums
- Hotel: 21c Museum Art Hotel
16 October 2020
- Fly into Pittsburgh and visit the Andy Warhol Museum
- Hotel: Omni Pittsburgh or similiar
17 – 18 October 2020
- Drive to Bearrun and stay nearby Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater
- Wander the sculpture gardens and visit Kentuck Knob, another Frank Lloyd Wright house nearby
- Enjoy the fall foliage
- Our “In Depth” tour of Fallingwater is confirmed for 18 October at 8.30am
- Hotel: Nemacolin Woodland Resort
19 – 22 October 2020 (4 nights)
- Drive through scenic fall colours enroute to Washington DC
- Visit the National Gallery of Art and the Hirshorn Museum
- Take a day tour to Mt Vernon and other scenic areas around DC or similiar
- Walk the Mall, see the Washington Monument and Maya Lin’s Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Visit art museums and dealer galleries
- Hotel : Darcy Hotel or similiar
23 October 2020
- Depart from Washington DC to Auckland
Itinerary subject to change
Price Budget approx. $13799 – $14199 NZD twin share, exchange rate dependent.
Single Supplement to be confirmed: Budget $3000 NZD
As usual Sue and I will be travelling, and we will have a good deal of assistance on the ground too.
FULL INCLUSIONS to date
• International airfares in economy class
• Hotels with breakfast as defined in the final itinerary
• All transfers as noted in the final itinerary
• Transportation in an air-conditioned private coach
• Entrance fees to all museums and events listed in itinerary
• Tips to guides, drivers, restaurant staff, and hotel porters
• Travel Insurance (Mandatory)
Cancellation fees and other House of Travel terms and conditions apply
Travel Insurance is mandatory and should be taken out at time of deposit
A moderate degree of fitness should be required for this tour as there will be walking and climbing stairs required.
Minimum Group Size is 14 guests: Maximum is 16
Minimum Numbers are required
Payments: All NZD
Holding deposit by 31 October $150
Total deposit by 15 November: $1000
Interim payment due by 31 March $2500
Full Payment due 01 July
Cancellation before 15 November: $250
Cancellation after 15 November but before 31 March: $1000
Cancellation between 31 March and 01 July: $1000 plus any non refundable deposits paid on your behalf to suppliers
Full Payment is 01 July. Non refundable after this date